Irymple South Primary School has a long standing history that dates back to as early as 1908. A petition was signed by 22 parents in the community requesting the Education Department open a school in the neighbourhood. Residents of the rapidly growing settlement were situated more than 2 1/2 miles from the nearest school and the distance and weather conditions prevented many young children from being able to attend school.
On the 6th of November, 1911, a single brick building 26′ 6″ x 21′ costing 515 pounds was completed and by 1913 the school would see 44 children enrolled. From humble beginnings, Irymple South Primary school, has now become a hub for encouraging students to adopt innovative ways of thinking and become involved in the schools environmental initiatives.
Acknowledgement of Country
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners & Custodians of the many Lands across Australia. We acknowledge the contribution of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, in particular to the education of young children, and recognise their existence long before our story began.